Winona Area Chamber of Commerce 2017 Committee Plan
Committee Name: Public Policy Committee
Committee Chair: Linda Seppanen
Committee Purpose Statement: To analyze business issues, gather relevant facts and forward recommendations to the Chamber Board of Directors.
Committee Projects/Activities for 2017:
- Engage Chamber members in public policy issues and education of legislative activity (use Eggs ‘n Issues. Power Lunch, forums, small meetings with legislators and use the chamber newsletter, etc.)
- Provide Chamber members a platform to be heard by local, state and federal lawmakers regarding matters that are of interest/concern to the members.
- Research and make recommendations to the Chamber Board regarding legislative issues at all levels of Government as relates to business, such as transportation, regulations, taxation, and related concerns.
- Actively advocate for legislative issues as adopted by the Board – engaging elected officials with phone, email, letters and personal visits by members of this committee.
- Host and Participate in Business Day at the Capitol (March 8) Sessions Priority Dinner (January 4) and bi-weekly Legislative Updates w. MN Chamber Policy Staff
- Actively advocate for the priority policy issues adopted by the Winona Area Chamber of Commerce Board as part of the MN Chamber Federation.
- At least annually, provide a summary of Public Policy Committee activities to the Board
- Monitor and explore impacts of regional initiatives such as Rochester DMC and Journey to Growth, and advise the Board of Directors accordingly.
Secure 2017 Advocacy Sponsors to build needed resources to effectively impact legislative priorities and utilize the advocacy role of this committee to enhance membership retention efforts for 2017. (Examples – coach bus to Business Day at Capitol, cost of mailings for Eggs ‘n Issues, meals for guest speakers at Eggs ‘n Issues)