Winona Area Chamber of Commerce 2017 Committee Plan
Committee Name: Winona Main Street Steering Committee—9 members appointed
Committee Chair: Heidi Evenson
Lead Staff: Emily Kurash
Winona Main Street Mission Statement: Guided by the Main Street Four Point Approach the Winona Main Street Program is committed to Historic Downtown Winona being the heart of our community and region, a vibrant hub of commerce, arts and culture, recreation and residential life.
Winona Main Street Vision Statement: To create a downtown where people want to be.
Committee Purpose Statement: The Main Street Steering Committee assures the implementation and monitors the progress of the annual Winona Main Street Plan. The Steering Committee works alongside Chamber staff to implement priorities and takes primary responsibility for program fundraising. To achieve the goals for revitalizing downtown Winona, the Steering committee and subcommittees work to create a strong downtown district through heightened community awareness, promotion of activities, preserving local heritage, and pooling local resources. The Steering Committee supports the work of Main Street being done by volunteering time within the Main Street Subcommittees.
Steering Committee Goals: 2016-2020
2017 Budget Considerations: Utilize the scheduled events and programs to meet the 2017 budget as set by the Winona Chamber Board of Directors
- Winona Main Street supports development in our historic downtown district. Goal is to exceed $40 million in private and public investment in our downtown district by 2020. We fully support the Opportunity Winona effort and offer all available resources to aid in large scale development projects as needed.
- Winona Main Street supports appropriate and quality development of diverse downtown housing and hotel options.
- Winona Main Street supports the City of Winona in their efforts to develop a cohesive zoning ordinance with thoughtful design standards to retain our history and promote our downtown district as a unique regional destination. We fully support the City of Winona’s pursuit of adopting the new ordinance by 2017.
- Winona Main Street supports business growth in our downtown. Our goal is to provide support to a minimum of 20 new, expanded or relocated downtown businesses by 2020.
- Winona Main Street identifies downtown Winona as a destination for residents and tourists. We will continue to support downtown events that draw visitors to the area annually and we will exceed 15,000 visitors to downtown with Main Street organized events.
- Winona Main Street supports investment in the arts including a formation of an arts district. This includes examples like the City’s commitment to maintaining historic art structures like the Masonic Temple to move it toward the purpose of hosting performance arts for the community.
Additional 2017 Committee Goals:
- Complete a database update to have accurate record of current Main Street Volunteers and their roles. This will be led by staff with Steering Committee oversight.
- Restructure committees from previous standing committees to a new set of taskforces and standing committees, based on the Main Street Refresh
Sub Committee Goals and Projects 2017
- Taskforces (Event/Project Implementation):
- Touch A Truck (January-May)
- Sweet Stroll (April-July)
- Big Muddy BBQ (January-September)
- Holiday Events (August-December
- Progressive Dinner
- Friends of Main Street Social
- Retail (Ongoing)
- Focus on general promotion, not events-centric committee
- Includes traditional retail, media partners and consumer-based businesses
- Downtown Development (Ongoing)
- Fire property assistance
- Property investment/improvement
- 60 Main Street
- Business Resources (for building owners, business owners, tenants)
- Branding of downtown
- Keep up with general aesthetic needs: garbage clean up, pulling weeds, healthy plants and flowers, updated facades, etc.
- Placemaking: help public get information through banners and way-finding signs
- Assist in update and implement public amenities