Winona Area Chamber of Commerce 2018 Committee Plan
Committee Name: Business/Education Network (BEN)
Committee Chairman: Corey Hancock
Committee Purpose Statement: To develop our community’s future workforce by providing students with a deeper understanding of career opportunities and aligning skills with current workforce needs; engaging employers directly with students, education and training providers; and better aligning programs and curriculum to the realities of the Minnesota economy.
- Improve the ability to recruit a skilled and able local workforce
- Partner with MN Chamber to meet the expectations of the Bush Foundation Grant
- Provide an avenue for area businesses and educational institutions to effectively work together and understand each other’s needs and processes
- Maintain a committee structure that is inclusive and encourages collaboration between all three higher education institutions, K-12 educators and business leaders.
- Continue to pursue heightened engagement from more schools in the area
- Assure that tracking is in place to measure impact for all projects
Committee Projects/Activities for 2018-19:
- Provide “CEO in the Classroom” for 8th grade students throughout area
- Expand “Life After High School” presentations in 11th grade classrooms
- Host Career Exploration Expo in November 2018 for area sophomores. Expand number of participating schools to a new total of 18.
- Enhance resources and encourage use of Hot Jobs Cool Companies website
- Expand REACH program at WSHS
- Hot Jobs Cool Companies – Health and Human Services Careers video and GIS map
- Teacher in the Workplace – summer 2018
- Work with MN Chamber to manage expenses and revenues connected to Business Education Networks/Bush Grant activities
- Pursue grants and local partners for funding of REACH initiative,
- Assure that projects not create a net loss for the Winona Chamber.
- Explore feasibility of updating and expanding Hot Jobs Cool Companies